Taiwanese sticky rice, or 油饭 (Yóu fàn), is one of my favorite dishes. It’s a food I crave often, especially in the winter, and is always served with Taiwanese sweet and spicy sauce. Luckily Taiwanese sticky rice is easy to make in an instant pot. Now we don’t have to go to Taiwan to enjoy a steamy bowl of fragrant sticky rice.
The best sticky rice I’ve had in Taiwan is from Righteous Cuisine 正靖美食 at No. 12, Qingjiang Road at the Beitou wet market. They are usually sold out by 10 am. If you are visiting Taiwan, the Beitou wet market is a fascinating experience for all your senses. Arrive before 10 to find the best produce. Once you are done shopping, check out my favorite places to eat in Beitou.
Looking for Asian ingredients?
Try Weee!, the new Asian grocery delivery service. With my promo link, Get $10 off your first purchase and free delivery on orders over $34.
Instant Pot Taiwanese Sticky Rice 油饭
- Instant Pot
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or canola
- 1 tablespoon shallot thinly sliced
- ¼ lb pork belly or lean meat, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup dried shrimp soak 15 minutes, then drain
- 4 heads dried shitake mushrooms soak in water for 30 minutes, then thinly slice
- 2 cups glutenous rice or short grain sweet rice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine michiu
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 ½ cups water
- Press the saute button on the Instant Pot.
- When hot, add the peanut oil and shallot. Saute for about 2 minutes. Be careful, shallots burn easily. Remove shallot from the pan and set aside.
- Suate the pork.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the pot and mix.
- Put the lid on the pot cook on the rice setting. This will take about 12 minutes. Then allow the pressure to release naturally for at least 15 minutes.