Chinese Character Painted Cookies
- sugar cookie dough
- egg yolk
- food coloring*
- Separate egg yolk into small dishes or a cleaned paint tray. One yolk is more than enough for an entire batch of cookies.
- Add a couple of drops of food coloring to each portion of yolk and mix well.
- Roll out your cookie dough according to recipe/package instructions. Cut out desired shapes.
- Use a fine paintbrush to write the Chinese characters onto the cookies.
- Bake according to recipe/package instructions.
Food coloring comes in a wide variety of options. For this first batch, I used the cheap food coloring I bought for our home science experiments. I was surprised by how well the colors turned out. For our next batch of cookies, I will experiment with gel food colors for shimmery metallic colors or powdered food coloring for more intense colors.
After cutting out your shapes, the leftover dough can be used for thumbprint cookies. The kids had lots of fun making those. The dough is edible play dough!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. A qualifying purchase is if you click on an affiliate link on my blog, then complete a purchase. No additional cost is added to your purchase. The money I earn from affiliate links is use towards more supplies to create unique and educational activities that I share with anyone that reads my blog.
Hope you enjoyed this post. Check out these other fun activities to learn Chinese.