Dumplings and Potstickers
Easy and delicious recipe for pork and cabbage dumplings that can be boiled or pan-fried.
- 2 packs dumpling wrappers I prefer thick wrappers for a chewier texture1
- 1 head napa cabbage
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 lb ground pork
- ½ cup green onions thinly slice
Optional Filling Ingredients
- ¼ teaspoon grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ lb raw shrimp peel and mince
- 2 tablespoons dried shrimp soak in water for 15 min
- 2 heads dried shitake mushrooms soak in water for at least 30 minutes, chop or julienne
- ½ block silken tofu if adding tofu, reduce the pork by half
Potsticker Sauce Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 dash sesame oil optional
- 1 sprig green onion sliced, optional
Cut off the green parts of the cabbage. Save the greens for another dish or make kimchi. Finely shred the cabbage and put it into a big mixing bowl. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for about half an hour. Drain the liquid.
Add the drained cabbage, egg, pork, green onion, and optional ingredients. Mix together by hand. Do not use a food processor as this will affect the texture.
Fill the wrappers and cook right away or freeze on a floured baking sheet. Once frozen the dumplings can be stored in a bag or container in the freezer.
Before cooking, mix all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
Dumpling Cooking Instructions - Boiled
Add dumplings to boiling water.
When the water comes to a boil again, add a cup of room temp water.
The dumplings are done when the water comes to a boil again.
Potsticker Cooking Instructions - Pan-fried
Boil a cup of water in a small pot.
In a large pan or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of oil on med-high until the oil is hot but not smoking.
Line the pan with the potstickers and cook for 2 minutes. Add enough boiling water to submerge the potstickers half-way.
Cover and steam. Once the water has evaporated, cook another 2 minutes to get a crispy bottom.