In Chinese culture, fish symbolize an abundance of wealth and good luck. The Chinese character for fish 魚 [yú], has the same pronunciation as 餘, which means abundance or extra. I created this double fish Chinese New Year decoration for my children because they love fish.
This craft is easy enough for my 4-year-old daughter to make, although younger children may need help cutting out the smaller details around the mouth of the fish.
Double Fish Decoration Instructions
- Red paper for the fish template (download template)
- White or gold paper for the 福 sign (download template)
- Glue or double-sided tape
- Ribbon (3 to 4 inches in length)
*Step-by-step instructions are included on the template so you don’t need to print this web page.
- Download the templates and print the fish body on a red sheet of paper. Print the 福 sign on gold or white paper.
2. Cut out the shapes along the dashed lines
3. Accordion fold along the solid lines.
4. To complete the tail fins (teardrop shapes), accordion fold, then fold in half again with the curve on the inside of the fold. Glue the fold together.
5. For the fish body, stretch out the folds to give the fish some length.
6. Glue the head and fins to the body, then glue the 福 sign onto the body,
7. Fold the ribbon in half to form a loop and glue or tape to the back of the fish heads.
Looking for more DIY crafts to make with your kids? Check out these easy Chinese New Year crafts.